October 2022 Newsletter
Long time, no email!
It’s been almost a year since I shared anything with my list. If you’re still reading, below is a little recap of how this year has gone so far:
- In the first quarter, I was planning a wedding.
- Right before the wedding, I suffered a catastrophic hard drive failure, losing most of all of my client files on my backup hard drive. Luckily I had an amazing insurance policy that is helping pay for file restoration.
- I changed my process for backup file storage and invested in virtual drive space.
- In May, I got married and changed my name.
- Content – I took a nice long break from all forms of social…and I’m contemplating how I re-enter the space with my business profiles.
- In the summer, I attended a business retreat at a bougie camp ground with my coach and our One Year from Now cohort.
- I have created and launched brands and websites all year…portfolio updates to come.
- My design contractors have been knocking out work for my clients.
- I completed my first two consulting gigs for clients who wanted some suggestions on how to create a website RFP, and level up their website and marketing.
- I just hired a Marketing & Operations Coordinator to help with our expanding workload.
How are my other goals and intentions going?
Exercising regularly – I joined River City Fit at the end of May and found a great group of trainers there I enjoy. Plus it’s 5 minutes from my house.
Competing in volleyball – We closed the sand season in volleyball a few weeks ago and my partner and I won a tournament! I love playing and continue to play on some indoor teams as well.
Continuing to build my community and network – I had intended to create a Marketing Mastermind in January with like-minded business owners who do work adjacent to what I do. With the whirlwind of wedding planning, and the growth in the business, I found I did not have the time to create a new group. I am still hosting monthly Richmond Curious events, attending MBL, NAWBO and Rebelle events.
Growing as a business owner – I’ve continued to stay profitable this year, as my revenue has grown. I passed 6 figures earlier than I did last year and the business is looking to finish in a stronger position than last year. I switched to an S Corp designation this year, so we’ll see how that impacts my tax burden. I am hiring a Marketing & Operations coordinator who will start next week. Once she’s settled in, I’ll make a formal introduction.
Looking ahead – events I’m attending
Richmond Curious – This event series is based out of my coworking space in Gather Arts. Our October 7 event will focus on Fashion.
Richmond Night Market – I’ll be vending in the October 8 market in Shockoe Bottom. Stop by to grab a book, necklace or wall calendar from me or shop with any of the amazing local vendors that will be in attendance.
Kim Brundage Photography, Headshot Party – I partner with the world-traveling Kim Brundage to serve as a wardrobe stylist and brand advisor during her headshot parties. Kim has a marketing background and has an impeccable eye for detail. I love working with her and tend to meet amazing entrepreneurs taking their businesses to the next level. If you need a headshot, grab a slot at the link above!
Word of the year?
For the first time in a while, I didn’t pick a word of the year or do much deep thinking about intentions this year. I was mainly in action…trying to get things done.
As the year comes to a close, and I attempt keeping more white space in my calendar and in business, I’m looking forward to reflecting on this year and being more intentional with goals in 2023.
Ask Me Anything
As I continue to work on building my business, I don’t have the space in my calendar to do coffee chats and unpaid consulting. However, for the folks who are willing to invest in my time I am happy to share a bit more behind the curtain in a 60-minute recorded session. (I’ve invested a ton of time and money over the years) Sessions are limited but there are a few still available as we close out the year.